Saturday, April 7, 2012

Baby Food 101






A few have asked how I make baby food, it's SUPER easy and well worth the small amount of time it takes to make it, so I thought I'd share.

What You'll Need:
Ice Cube Trays
Steamable Frozen Vegtables (I'd start with peas, carrots, green beans)
Thawed Breast Milk, formula or water (your choosing)
Blender, smoothie mixer, Ninja, or food processor. (I use a Cusinart Smoothie Blender thingy)


First thing you do is microwave/steam the frozen veggies. Usually about 7 minutes/bag. I would microwave it for the most time that it states on the bag to make the veggies very tender. Next, put the veggies in the blender container (if some water drains in that's fine too), and add approximately 3 oz of breast milk (give or take an ounce or two depending on how chunky/runny you want it). Next, blend her on up. I It takes about a minute in mine to get pretty smooth across the board. After you have it blended ( I use the blade with the 4 blades, though I have used the 2 blade one before too and it works fine), I add the mixture to ice cube trays and freeze. Each ice cube is 1oz. So, you'll always know how much your baby has eaten.

A couple of tips.... I also freeze breastmilk this way. It's an easy way to thaw out a couple of ounces without wasting a whole bag of frozen breast milk. Once veggies and the milk are frozen in the ice cube trays, I empty and bag in freezer safe baggies. I also always add some rice cereal to the veggies. This makes it thicker and you can control the consistancy. Veggies are the easiest to make this way. Fruit can be done also, and for the most part the same way.

It's easy, cost effective, and a great way to take to restaurants or to the babysitter! Happy Baby (food) Making!

No comments:

Post a Comment